TIME & LOCATION
For this session, we need a relatively long loop to train effectively. Combined with the need for shade, the Wilhelminapark in the Hof van Delft has been chosen as our training venue. We will meet at the Northern gate on the Colijnlaan next to the Weteringlaan bus stop. Please get there by 19:00 so that we can start on time!
- Start with an 800m at a “talking jog” (2 laps of the Hof van Delft park);
- Activation (see below subsection);
- Coordination drills; (not just a warm-up, this is an important part of the whole training)
- and 4x Gradual 60m accelerations ( up to: 60%; 70%; 80%; and 90% respectively).
During our warm-up we want to prepare the body for movement by activating our system. Although the Activate warm-up for rugby training and games (find the adult version here on the World Rugby Site), we have a chance to mix things up with something similar. In fact, I wonder if the below program didn’t actually inspire the activate program itself! For those people who are curious, or who want to incorporate this mobility and activation focused program, you can watch the following 3 YouTube parts.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3|
Summarizing @ 3-5 reps per exercise, this whole program will be finished earlier than you would expect! Images are a work in progress…
The following coordination drills aim to develop our balance, and help us master different movements which will support our efforts to become better at general running (sprinting is a highly coordinated activity), and finally to apply it to our chaotic world of rugby!
Galloping (dadummm dadummm)
A-skips and B-skips, both with double bounce recoveries. B-skip = American skipping.
Sideways hops back & forth 1 leg
Forward/back hops back & forth 1 leg
4x Gradual 60m accelerations (up to: 60%; 70%; 80%; and 90% respectively).
Main FOCUS AREA
Today we run:
- BACKS: 10x 300m with up to 120s rests
- FORWARDS:10x 100m with an extended walking recovery of roughly 120s back to the start (waited for the backs to regroup before next rep)
We will perform the 800m talking run that we started with, followed by an unstructured set of stretches to kick-start our recovery.